Back pain is one of the most common disabilities affecting the modern population, so we thought we’d take a look at one of the most popular mattresses available today and ask the question everyone wants to know the answer to: Is the Nectar mattress good for back pain? But before we dive in, you need to understand why you should be concerned about back pain, even if it isn’t a major concern for you right now.
For many people looking to upgrade their old mattress, it’s about a whole lot more than just price and comfort. In fact, you’d be surprised just how widespread back pain is, so you’re definitely not alone. According to the American Chiropractic Association, over 80% of the population will experience back pain at some point in their lives. That means that regardless of whether you’ve had back pain in the past, you’re extremely likely to have your life negatively affected by it in the future, and the price is indeed high:
- Back pain is the single leading cause of disability in the whole world and is the most common reason for missing precious work days. This means your income may suffer severely as a result of back pain.
- Back pain can affect you at any age, from adolescents to the elderly.
- When you suffer from back pain, the pain is more than physical. Your income is likely to suffer as well.
You’re right to be worried, but back pain isn’t a lost cause. Just remember that there’s plenty you can do if you take the necessary precautions.
What Makes a Good Mattress for Back Pain?
When it comes to back pain, your mattress is one of the most important factors in determining its severity if you already have it and whether you’ll experience it in the first place, if you haven’t already. The simple truth is that you’ll spend about 8 hours every day in bed, amounting to around one-third of your entire life. That means that your sleeping conditions and posture have a critical impact on the complex set of muscles, bones, and ligaments that make up your back. This complex structure needs proper support that most mattresses don’t offer, so you need to make sure you’re buying one that does. But what are the features you should look for?
- The proper level of firmness. You’ve probably heard that firmer mattresses are better for back pain, which is mostly true, but we’ll get into specifics in the next section.
- The right combination of layers. If you’ve been in the market for a new mattress, you’ve probably noticed that many are composed of multiple layers, each playing a different role in creating the physical support needed to alleviate your back pain. This is not just marketing, it’s a highly-important feature you should pay great attention to.
- Trial Periods. If you buy a new mattress, you should expect it to serve you for many years to come. That means that your new mattress should offer extensive trial periods to ensure that does not cause you pain. The longer the trial period, the more confident the mattress maker is in their product.
- Even if your new mattress is great at reducing your back pain, you want it to continue doing so for many years. Warranties protect you from damage that may occur over time that could alter firmness and uniformity across the mattress, leading to back pain. The longer, the better.
Is Everyone Right to Call Nectar the Best Mattress for Back Pain?
The short answer is yes, but you probably want to know why before you buy it. For starters, let’s consider some of the points mentioned above and look at the Nectar mattress to see if it really is such a good choice for anyone suffering from back pain.
1. Is the Nectar Mattress Firmness Good for Back Pain?
The Nectar mattress has a relatively high level of firmness rated as a 6 out of 10. This value is considered to be medium to firm and is widely regarded as the perfect compromise between comfort and back support. The Nectar’s firmness level is recommended for people suffering from back pain.
2. Does the Nectar Mattress Have a Good Layered Structure for Back Pain?
This is actually one of the Nectar strongest points. It’s made of 4 layers, 3 of which are dedicated to ensuring pain-free comfort. It all starts with the Support Core, which is the firm base that provides the backbone of the mattress’s firm yet gentle support. Next, we have the Adaptive Memory Foam layer, which as you may have guessed, is made from a special material that adapts to shape and contour of your body in order to make sure that there isn’t any unhealthy pressure put on your muscles, joints or ligaments. Finally, there’s the Gel Memory Foam layer designed to increase the Nectar’s ability to adapt to the subtleties of your favorite sleeping positions, all while maintaining proper support in key regions of the mattress. On top of these layers, you can put on a mattress cover to preserve it for longer and protect it against other issues. You can also go for a mattress topper to tweak the level of firmness.
3. Is the Nectar’s Trial Period Good for People with Back Pain?
Yes. The Nectar mattress’s trial period is 365 days, meaning you have an entire year to make sure that it reduces your back pain. It’s about as good as it gets in the mattress market.
4. Is the Nectar Mattress Warranty Good for People with Back Pain?
Once again, the Nectar pulls ahead of the competition. You get a lifetime warranty with the nectar mattress. For the first 10 years, you can replace the Nectar mattress for free, while doing so, later on, will incur reasonable transportation fees. Once again, the Nectar stands out for the better.
For more details about the Nectar’s composition, firmness and consumer-related perks, check out our Nectar mattress review. Also, you might want to consider a spring box (the surface on which you’ll put the mattress on) to make sure you the mattress can do its job correctly.
Bottom Line: Should You Buy the Nectar Mattress if You Have Back Pain?
The Nectar mattress has the most important features anyone suffering from back pain requires in a mattress. It offers the correct level of support, has an intelligent layer design, and is a clear winner in terms of trial periods and warranty. If you’d like to see other options available to you, be sure to check out our mattress rankings.